Sniperís Choice | Bolt vs. Semi-auto Precision Rifles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniperís Choice | Bolt vs. Semi-auto Precision Rifles

There is an ongoing debate as to whether someone should purchase a semi-automatic rifle or a bolt-action rifle for long-range precision shooting. There are a few key variances in both which make them very different, and probably contribute to the wide divergence in opinion. Typically, the bolt-action precision rifle is considered more accurate than a semi automatic. However, this depends on numerous factors with regard to both firearm and ammunition, and modern semi-automatic rifles can be exceptionally accurate when designed with long-ranging shooting in mind. Some of the factors that precision shooters take into consideration when accuracy is discussed between the two platforms are:
    • Recoil
    • Gas release
    • Moving components
    click below for the full article:

https://loadoutroom.com/12939/sniper...ampaign=buffer

it would really depend in my mind on if the gas used to work the action was exactly the same for every shot. if the action locked up with the same pressure each time. I put together a psa ar-10 a few years back. it shot great. I used a black whole weapondry 3 groove polygonal bull barrel. I was able to get 3/4 to 1 inch groups with handloaded 168 grain hornady v max bullets at 200 yards. I can keep my custom bolt rifle at 1/2 inch at 200 yards. I have seen high end semi-autos that shoot very well, but not really as good as a bolt gun.

Comment

Working...
    X