BRYCO Model 58, 9mm can't be repaired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRYCO Model 58, 9mm can't be repaired

I had this one given to me, so no wise cracks.
    I now am a proud owner of a BRYCO Model 58, 9mm pistol . The only thing I can figure out that's wrong with it has got to have a simple solution to fix it, I'm sure.

The Safe/Fire selector won't stay down in the fire position. Each time it's fired the selector resets to the safe position . I know Tomob1 has a level of familiarity with these gems, and I'm wondering if any of you can give some guidance to repair it. If nothing else, it'll make a good truck gun if I can get it working right.

I'm thinking it only needs a spring or something as simple as that. If I'm wrong I'll have a really good looking paperweight..

Eagerly awaiting your assistance after you stop rolling on the floor endlessly laughing.
    Last edited by gearchecker; 12-28-2010, 06:15 PM. Reason: Edited title
    sigpic
    I shoot...........Therefore I am.
    My firearm is an investment on my life.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, better call the undertaker!

You have a WHAAT?

There should be a flat spring at the front of the safety, just a nub that cams above and below the front point of the safety. It's been a while since I've looked at one of these so I might be off in my description a bit. The spring may be weak or missing. Double check to make sure your not bumping the safety while shooting also. The pin that the safety pivots on might be an issue, but I doubt it.

#6 - Safety
    #7 - Safety Spring

Here is a schematic; BRYCO Schematic

Comment

headspace nailed it. it's the safety spring. it can actually be put in backwards, as well as broken, bent etc...
      to take the gun down you need to start with the take down button at the back of the slide. it's under a good amount of tension, so make sure you control it!
      trust me on that, the little bugger shot past my head and landed 15 ft away!
      The average response time for 911 is 20 minutes.
      the average response time for .357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

Comment

Perishable!? That sounds like code for "It'll never make it home". Mmmm...

~~~

Try here for parts; Bob's

Comment

Doughnuts or Bryco?

Hands down the doughnuts would be the better choice. And if you have left overs you could throw a stale one at a crook. I am sure your throwing arm is much more accurate than the Bryco.

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

GOD Bless and Merry CHRISTmas everyone!!!
          Obama Legacy Continues:
          - Fast and Furious
          - Attacking the Second Amendment
          - BENGHAZI
          - IRS Targeting Obama adversaries
          - Justice Department shreds the rights of the free press
          - And much more to come

Comment

do they make cone fritters???
            merry christmas!
            progun has something extra special happening in the new year.
            cant wait for pictures!

Comment

Those look goood gearchecker! Your daughter really must love you!!

I'm not quite sure how a dozen of those made it home with that hour and a half drive!?

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah, but we're talkin' Apple Fritters.

Comment

The guns are pretty decent, for the niche that they occupy. They tend to work well, but don't have a long lifespan. For an occasional shooter it would be fine, for a workhorse I'd look elsewhere. The guns feel good in the hand and the heft really helps the overall comfort in shooting.

I'm glad a pair of needlenose worked to complete the job, cuz ya know next on the list was a bigger hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Headspace View Post
                    ...cuz ya know next on the list was a bigger hammer.

Dang GC, that's too bad. I guess ya gotta do what they did in the westerns, throw it at the bad guys.

Comment

Originally posted by gearchecker View Post
                      I had this one given to me, so no wise cracks.
                      OUCH!

Comment

It's amazing how much some guns can take. I shot a 20ga single shot years ago that had the barrel crushed in a vise till there was only about a 3/16" gap through the bore. That gun ate everything I threw at it, 3" lead, steel and even a couple of slugs. I finally cut through the chamber so no one would repeat what I had done.

Comment

hey gregory, it can be saved! ground a bevel on all the fractured edges and fill with JB weld. cure it in the oven (when the wife is out) and it'll shoot another mag or two!!
                          tom

Comment

I've seen worse.....

Comment

hey gregory, can i have the take down button and spring from the back of the slide. it looks like a can modify it to replace the one that shot past my head!

Comment

Working...
                              X